Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tuesday's Real Food Recipe! Avocado Salsa Grass Fed Burgers

Last night I was standing in the kitchen with 3 lbs. of grass fed beef thawed, wondering what to make for dinner!  I had some nice turkey bacon on hand, and thought to myself...I could make a delicious restaurant-style burger!!  One way to afford high quality food is to eat out less.  So, sometimes I try to make some fancy shmance food to make it seem like we are still eating in high style...and you know what?  We're rarely disappointed!!  I asked Jeremy to pick up an avocado and red onion on the way home from work and got to work myself!  Below is my yummy recipe!  And, we ate them so fast I FORGOT to take a photo!  I'll have to add one later...

Avocado Salsa Grass fed Burgers
serves 4
1 lb. grass fed beef or bison
4 large slices of high quality, nitrate-free turkey bacon (or pork bacon if you prefer)
1 avocado
1 small red onion
1/2 cup salsa
cilantro (for garnish)
4 slices pepper jack cheese (or cheese of your choice)
4 buns (or go bun less as I normally do and wrap in some crunchy lettuce!)
a few dashes of natural Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup organic ketchup
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. cracked pepper or 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper to taste

For the Burgers:
gently mix with a fork, being careful not to overwork the meat:
ground beef, 1/4 C. ketchup, Worcestershire, and pepper.
shape into 4 1/4 pound patties.  If you aren't grilling until later, put in the fridge and make sure they have about 15 minutes to come to room temp before grilling.

meanwhile, cook the bacon per the package instructions and slice the avocado in small strips, chop cilantro and red pepper to be ready for topping.

*I like to grill my bun if I am using one.  I suggest placing cheese on the bottom of the bun and put in a toaster oven or on the grill.  This melts the cheese, and keeps the bottom bun from getting soggy!

Assemble the burgers:
Once your burgers are off of the grill, let them drain for a minute on a paper towel-lined plate.  Then, place the burger on the buns or lettuce, and top first with salsa and the remaining ketchup if you wish, then avocado, red onion and cilantro.   Devour.   


Hope you enjoy this recipe!!! 
Love,
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment