Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Homemade "sunset" Ginger Ale

Two weeks ago I posted my recipe for Homemade Chai and it was very popular, so I decided to also give you a similar recipe you can enjoy warm or cold- Homemade Ginger Ale!

I love ginger ale, but I don't drink regular "pop" (as I call it), so when I had some gorgeous locally grown ginger on hand, coupled with major morning sickness (oh yeah, I haven't mentioned that i'm expecting!) I thought it would be fabulous to make some homemade ginger ale.  The result was nothing short of delicious and refreshing!
make a "sunset" by adding your splash of bitters last.  I have candied ginger in the bottom of my glass if you're wondering. :)
What you need: Serves 4
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup peeled fresh ginger
1 cinnamon stick- optional
1-2 tsp. bitters- optional (found in the wine/beer section of most stores)
medium saucepan
club soda/sparkling water

Bring honey, water, ginger and Cinnamon stick to a boil and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.  Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.  If you're not going to make it immediately, you can refrigerate the mixture for up to a week.  When you're ready to make your ginger ale, pour  your ginger mixture into a pitcher and add 4 cups of club soda and a splash or two of bitters.  Pour over ice and enjoy a refreshingly spectacular homemade soda pop!  To make a "sunset" ginger ale, add your splash of bitters to each glass separately after you've poured the club soda over the ginger mixture.  Don't mix.

Want your ginger warm and cozy?  Today is very blustery out, and the idea of drinking cold ginger ale isn't that appealing.  Another option for fall/winter is to add hot water instead of club soda to the hot ginger mixture and serve in a cozy mug.  A great remedy for a tummy bug or digestif after a large thanksgiving supper!

*In a pinch with no fresh ginger available?  Just use honey and water without the ginger or Cinnamon stick and add a little extra bitters to taste.  voila!

I hope you find my drink recipes as yummy as I do!!!  Let me know if you try it!

Love,
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment