Saturday, October 29, 2011

Gluten What?

Recently I have decided to avoid gluten to see if some of my mysterious side effects of pregnancy might go away.  I mean, geez, pregnancy and childbirth were hard enough, and now we have weird side effects afterwards, too?  I decided that it was free to just go for it and cut out gluten and see how I feel- and much less painful than having a blood test done (phlebotomy and I don't mix).  Besides being slightly inconvenient at times while I am trying to fix food for 4, it really hasn't been much of a struggle. 
I realized quickly that I needed to get creative after the first few days I ate eggs, a yogurt smoothie, and the innerworkings of a sandwich without the bread.  Who wants to take bites of tuna by itself!  Here is a little recipe I cooked up (actually, it's raw: no cooking skills needed.) as a sandwich substitute that is so refreshing even the carboholics are going to find it irresistable. 

tuna stuffed green pepper-
1 medium green pepper
1 can tuna (I prefer vital choice seafood)
1 small tomato- any variety- diced
diced red onion to taste- diced
1/2 cup homemade yogurt (or store bought, or mayannaise will do)
1 tbsp. mustard
juice of a half of lemon (I like adding the lemon zest as well)
freshly cracked pepper
pinch grey sea salt (or any salt you have on hand)

to make- slice the top of the pepper and scrape out the inside.  set aside.

Mix the tuna, diced tomato, diced onion, and the remainder of the ingredients into a bowl.  Fill the green pepper and top with an extra little pinch of sea salt. 

This can get a smidge messy- if you prefer, you can cut the green pepper in half instead of at the top, and make two shorter stuffed green peppers, which proves easier to eat.
Make it a healthy meal and add an apple!

From my family kitchen to yours!
Anna

1 comment:

  1. Or an endoscopy which is way worse than a blood test! :P If you decide/need to stick with it I have several friends w/ celiac who might have some good recipes/tips/tricks.

    ReplyDelete