Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Gluten Free Bread- Tuesday's Real Food Recipe!

This year, my family has decided to trim the gluten from our real food lifestyle.  I know, I know...how trendy of us, right?  But let me tell you, my kids MISS bread.  Their previous school lunches included a yummy sandwich which used my soaked homemade bread and they were wondering where it went!  I came up with some awesome alternatives, like the affectionately named "smoosh balls" (Recipe coming next week) but it's nice to have the variety of a sandwich now and again, no? 

The first time I attempted Gluten Free bread, I simply substituted freshly milled rice for the exact same bread recipe.  Any reader who has done GF baking is currently shaking their head and giggling at me.  Yes, it was a disaster, and unless you want to rub your tongue off with a napkin followed by several chasers of water, I don't recommend it.  I brought out my old softball arm and the entire loaf was chucked full force into the trash can.

Instead, gluten free bread requires xanthan gum, a natural thickener.  It also has a much thinner dough, which could throw the baker off if you're not used to it.  Here is my recipe for Gluten Free bread.

My bread straight out of the oven.  You may experience a little "sink" when it begins to cool.  This is pretty normal for GF bread.

Wet Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup warm water (100-110 degrees F)
2 TBSP. honey
3 TBSP. olive oil (EVOO) or coconut oil
2 tsp. Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
2 eggs
4 TBSP. water

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup tapioca flour
2 cups all purpose GF flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 tsp. xanthan gum
2 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast (1 packet)

Directions:
Mix dry ingredients and set aside.  Mix eggs and 4 TBSP. of water until slightly frothy.  Mix all ingredients in your standing mixer (the dough hook is less imperative with GF bread...I used it, but you could use any of the attachments), and slowly add dry ingredients until incorporated.  Scrape down the sides, and then mix on high for 5 minutes, scraping down the sides once or twice. 

Meanwhile, grease your loaf pan.  Pour the dough into the prepared loaf pan (the dough will be a little thicker than cake batter) and let it proof for 20 minutes.  Another huge difference from traditional bread making.  You don't proof as long or punch down the dough and do a second rise.  Place your dough in a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 45 minutes.  Turn the pan in the oven the last 10 or 15 minutes for even browning. 

Leave the bread in the pan for a good 5-10 minutes to avoid the bread "falling."  Roll out onto a cooling rack, and do your best to let it cool before slicing.  Slice and store in the freezer.  Bring to room temp before eating! :)

I hope you enjoy this recipe, and let me know if you have questions!

Happy Baking,
Anna


No comments:

Post a Comment